Sunday, November 20, 2011

Newbee! Just an introduction.

Ok...this is my very first blog. EVER. I don't really even know where to begin. There has been some much happening in our lives and I thought it might be best to get our story out there. I know there are a billion blogs out there and there are million about babies and family. And I know there are a lot about spina bifida. But there is only one out there about OUR Joey and his spina bifida.

First I want to introduction myself. My name is Ashley and I live in a fantastic town with wonderful caring people in Georgia. I met the love of my life three years ago and then married him this past June. We had a beautiful wedding on the beach and all of our closest family and friends shared our moment with us. Soon after Matt and I found out we were going to have a baby! Yahoo! It was a surprise but it was the best surprise that either of us had ever had. I want to go on the record to say that I knew it was a boy from day one. We confirmed this during our ultrasound at 14 weeks. But we also found out other news. Devastating news actually. Our baby boy had two suspicious spots on his spine that our doctor wanted us to have a better look at a maternal fetal medicine doctor.

There felt like there was a lot of just waiting around to find out more. But we did find out that indeed there were two spots and Joey was diagnosed with Spina Bifida. I think that is when time stood still. We had a million thoughts going through our minds. What is spina bifida? How will this affect his chances at a "normal" childhood? But the most important one we had was if Joey was going to be okay. He was our main concern.

The fetal medicine doctor gave us a very bleak diagnosis. I believe his exact words were, "Yep, its spina bifida. Your baby will never walk and will probably have brain damage. What do you want to do?" Wow. I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of this doctor's mouth. I am pretty sure I blocked the rest of the day out of my mind but I do remember those words and how sad they sounded. The only other thing I remember was when my dear sweet husband grabbed my hand and I said, "I can sit here and be sad and you can sit there and be mad but what good is it doing Joey? Let's figure out what we need to do next."

And that is exactly what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment