Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Home Sweet Home

So I know its been a while but I have been a little busy..you know having a baby and all! We are so excited to have Joey home with us! I just wanted to update everyone on how things are going with Joey and our adventures in the first two weeks of his life.

I was admitted Friday January 13 at 6 am and was scheduled to have the c-section at 8 am. Unfortunately, they had an emergency and I was pushed back to 10 am. Which actually worked out in my favor, since my dad missed his connection flight in Atlanta the night before and didn't get in until right as I was going in. I would like to say I wasn't scared but that would be a lie. I was scared but I knew there was going to be a wonderful reward in the end. I have never had any type of surgery. Ever. Matt wasn't allowed back with me until I was all doped up and ready. But from what I hear, he was just as scared as I was. But I knew I needed to suck it up and be a big girl, for Joey. The doctors were awesome and at my request there was Aerosmith playing in the operating room. Which the lead doctor that was great! Finally Matt was allowed in. He was so cute in his scrubs. Once we were back together all the bad feelings were gone and we were ready to have a baby. After about 30 minutes of tugging and pulling, our beautiful baby boy emerged at 11:24 am weighing in at 6 pounds 7 ounces. As soon as he appeared we heard a slight whimper and then a huge cry! They whisked him away into another room where a team of nurses ascended on him. Matt was allowed to go back with him, while I listened closely as I could hear his cries. It was music to my ears.

After he was all cleaned up, they wheeled him to the NICU where he was diligently taken care of by some of the best nurses. My nurses forced me to wait until 8 pm to go see him. After, what felt like an eternity, I was allowed to get into my wheel chair to go see my baby. Joey was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. We couldn't hold him since his back was still exposed.

We waited patiently until his back surgery on Monday January 16th. This surgery took about a hour. Matt and I were a nervous wreck waiting for him to be taken to surgery. I don't think we slept a wink the night before. It was over before we knew and it was a huge relief. His scar is about 6 inches which looks huge on his little body but it looks great! It starts at T-9 and stops at about S-2. But its just a straight line. It hardly bruised. But I will be the first to tell you that my son is probably the toughest guy I know! We had a lot of confidence in his doctor. We were very fortunate to have a doctor that is the best at his job.

After that surgery, it was just a waiting game. Wait to hold him, wait to feed him, wait to change him, wait to cath him. Not to mention that we all had about a million questions going through our heads. There were a lot of different doctors and consults. As of right now Joey has a neurosurgeon, urologist, physical therapist, and pediatrician. Throughout the 8 days we were in the NICU we got both good and bad news. We found out he actually only has one clubbed foot instead of two, which means he only has to have one leg cast. We also knew before surgery he was voiding his bladder a by himself and after the surgery there was a possibility that it could reverse, which it did. So we learned how to cath and we have to do so every three hours. We also discovered he has a deformed rib. One rib on his right side is rounded but it didn't seem to concern anyone, not even Joey. We also left the hospital with NO shunt. Matthew and I had mixed  emotions about that but they gave us very specific details for what to look for if his ventricles begin growing larger. But as of right now they have not gotten any bigger since birth. Thank you Jesus! :)

After all the chaos of the hospital, we were allowed to come home. Of course it snowed the night before and the weather was horrible but we made it home in one piece. Thanks to my dear husband's exceptional snow driving abilities! Now that we are home, things have really been going well. Joey is certainly a sleeper like his mommy. He loves to sleep. He is also an eater. Just like daddy! I am sleeping as much as I can which is about every two hours since we have to cath him every three hours. We have actually established some what of a schedule.

I like to think that Joey knows how many people love him and care about him. The Moore's really appreciate all the love and support we have received through all of this. it has certainly been a challenging experience but Joey is absolutely perfect in our eyes. And seeing that sweet smiling face with his one dimple (like both mommy and daddy) makes everything worthwhile. Well I am wrapping this post up with a smile on my face knowing we are going to be just fine. Thanks to everyone who has helped us. The next post will be after our first appointment with the Spina Bifida Clinic. Thanks for reading!
Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure!




5 comments:

  1. How wonderful Ashley and what a handsome lil boy he is!! You have so many adventures ahead of you! Congrats on the birth and good news and prayers for the bad! Keep us all posted. I know your relatives cannot wait to get their hands on him as well! Btw, you are a good writer!
    Glinda Majors
    gigimajors@windstream.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you Ashley, Matt and Joey! So happy for you...and can't wait to hold and kiss that baby! Love the Hudson fam!

      Delete
  2. Ashley, I am so glad to hear that Joey's surgery went well and that y'all are home and starting to find your normal. Keep the pictures and updates coming. Joey is beautiful, and I look forward to watching him grow! Also hope to meet him oneday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, what a beautiful baby, been praying for you for quite some time. Much love to you all.

    Debra Crew Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little boy is beautiful and so strong! Thank you for sharing the link to your blog with us at babycenter!i wish the best for Joey and you, and your family. I am actually tearing up reading your wonderful story!
    *hugs* -Anna

    ReplyDelete